ABS Anniversary Fund Series – May: Barkisland Active Together
Congratulations to Barkisland Active Together who are our first recipients of the ABS monthly anniversary fund!
The ABS Foundation and our charity partner, Community Foundation for Calderdale, will be supporting 12 different charities who deliver vital services in Calderdale. Every month, between May 2019 and April 2020 the ABS 19/20 Fund will make an award to one fantastic local charity.
Who Are They?
Barkisland Active Together, are a voluntary community group who provide a range of activities and events to more than 250 over 65’s who reside in Barkisland, Calderdale. Each volunteer has approximately 20-30 people, with the aim of promoting friendships and social interaction which ultimately contribute to the wellbeing of their local community.
What Do They Do?
Barkisland Active Together run regular events for their members to book on to at Barkisland Cricket Club and other venues across the Calder Valley. As health and mobility deteriorate it can become harder to interact with others which can lead to elderly people becoming lonely and socially isolated, especially in remote areas.
The activities on offer include: –
- The Get Together Club, Wednesdays at Barkisland Cricket Club.
- The Gentle Exercise Class, Thursdays at Barkisland Cricket Club.
- The Annual Summer Tea, every June at Barkisland School
- Monthly day trips
- Friday Fivers – day trips across Ryburn Valley in partnership with Community Transport Calderdale.
- Annual Trips in August usually to a seaside location which includes a three-course lunch/tea. This year they have 95 people going to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Whitby.
- The Christmas Party which includes a buffet lunch with entertainment by the Ryburn Valley High School Choir and Brass Band. They also distribute Christmas gifts to the members, how lovely!
What Will They Do With The Donation?
Barkisland Active Together will use the donation from ABS to contribute towards the room hire at Barkisland Cricket Club for their weekly Get Together Club. The funds will also help pay for a variety of speakers, entertainment and activities as well as attracting new people to the club.
Michele Gallagher, treasurer at Barkisland Active Together said, “Sustainability is no doubt the key to our success. We want to put our emphasis and efforts into delivering and developing our regular activities and events without having to worry about where the next lot of funds are coming from.”
She continued, “We are really starting to see the impact of our work and can evidence new friendships developing in our community. We are also seeing our members helping new starters which is great to see.”
Dave Lees, trustee of the ABS Foundation and director at ABS UK said of the recent donation, “The Foundation recognised the need to support local charities like Barkisland Active Together as well as those abroad in Sri Lanka, India and Uganda. We were extremely impressed with their commitment to supporting the elderly in the area and we absolutely loved getting stuck in and taking part in one of their Get Together classes.”
If you’re a charity in Calderdale and like what you see, check out our blog post introducing the fund and to find out how you can apply.